Popular Posts

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Becoming a Form Six Student (Part One)

     The Pre University students had just ended their 'Academic Village for 2011'.  They commended the initiative by saying that the activities strengthened their skills towards facing their STPM examination which is only more or less a month away.  Before this, Form Six students had their gathering outside the school premise but due to tight budget, the venue had changed.  Whatever happened, the objectives of immersing them with activities to keep the momentum seemed to achieve its target.
     However, I did not intend to write about what the students had undergone in the 'village'.  I only want to share with the readers my experience being a pre university students after the MCE (Malaysia Certificate of Education) results came out.
     In the seventies, form three students who failed in their LCE (Lower Certificate of Education) was not permitted to continue their studies in form four.  Similarly, form five students who failed MCE had to take the examination again if they wanted to go to form six.  Those who got grade three couldn't register for form six in a government school, but they can study in a private school if they wanted to sit for HSC (High School Certificate).
This is a copy of my Certificate.  The results are not bad, it was not good to secure me a place in the government school.
     Due  to these criteria, I couldn't get a place in the government school to enroll in a form six class but I did not have to sit for MCE again and I didn't want to.  So, the best choice for me was to register in one of the only two private schools in Muar that offered form six courses.
     Physically, the school of my choice was quite a small one.  Offering forms three and five Malay and English classes in not so big two wooden buildings that were connected with a wooden a bridge caused the premis to be packed.  All classes could not fit into the two buildings at one time.  Therefore, we the form students had to have our classes in the afternoon. 
     Studying in the afternoon was not a big problem for me as I had experienced doing so when I was at primary school and in forms one and two.  Furthermore, I accepted that as a blessing as I could start earning my own income since my father had allowed me to start tapping rubber at his one-acre rubber plantation.
One more interesting thing was, my father allowed me to ride his scooter to school, something that was very rare that occurred in our village.  This was so because at that time, out of  fifty families, only four villagers owned scooters (my father was one of them), none owned any car and the rest only owned bicycles.  A large number of primary school pupils walked to the primary school nearest their kampungs 'Sekolah Kebangsaan Bakri Batu 5 Muar'.  A lot of them started riding their bicycles to school only when they enrolled in secondary schools in the town five miles away.  Due to this reason, I felt a sense of satisfaction when I saw my friends wave to me when we met on the road; I on my way to school and they cycling home from school.
     But something happened while I was at form that made me decide to drop out of school.
This picture is my view of the once private school where I studied.  Now, the school was there no more.  The place had been turned into a futsal court.

No comments: